ZipTax Redding
Experience Matters!

Zip Tax Blog

Ziptax Blog for updates, news and information!


Get prepared for tax season

Did you get married in 2017, have a child, or change your name? If you answered yes than there are some things you should do before you go to file your 2017 tax return. The IRS recommends that you make sure that your name change or your child's birth has been recorded with the Social Security office prior to filing your tax return. A mismatch between the name shown on your tax return and the SSA records can cause problems in the processing of the tax return. The mismatch could cause a delay in receiving your tax refund.

If you neglect to report the birth of a child or a name change prior to filing your return you may be required to file the return in your previous name or in the case of child, leave the child off of the return until the SSA has the information on file.

If you have questions about name changes or new dependent you should consult a tax professional prior to filing your tax returns.

Heather Bockrath